Get Known podcast: Get inside the journalists’ mindset.
In this episode, we got to sit down with the one and only Mike Butcher from TechCrunch. Having been with the publication since 2007 and a working journalist since the mid-90s, Mike has many insights about the industry and tech journalism. He was kind enough to give us a first-hand look at how TechCrunch has developed from a pioneering blog into the online media icon it is today.
As one of the most significant tech media, TechCrunch gets hundreds of pitches daily. Mike helped us understand his views on what makes a great story and provided extremely useful advice on what he is looking for in a pitch.
Here are some of the main discussion points from the podcast:
- How TechCrunch has developed over the years.
- Journalists are not investors. Entrepreneurs need to get to the point and describe the problem.
- 50% of an entrepreneur’s job is communication.
- Journalists are looking for a bigger story beyond the product.
- The climate is a key subject of focus for now and the next five years.
- Timing is critical in the editorial process. Context always helps in your pitches.
- Check what a journalist has been writing about before reaching out, and read the news to make sure your pitches are relevant.
Listen to the newest episode of the Get Known podcast with Mike Butcher to learn more!